34. Broke my right arm twice; first time when my brother bucked me off his back (no one believed it was broken until it was already healing) and second time in gymnastics.
35. Got baptized at age 19 in the St. Croix River during the jr. high triathlon.
36. As a junior in college I changed jobs again and began caring for three mentally handicapped deaf women in a foster home. I loved learning sign language (S.E.E. - Signing Exact English)
37. I've forgotten most of the sign language I learned.
38. In ’97, met the man I would marry a year later.
39. After meeting him I began journaling which I have continued to do since then.
40. In ’98 I graduated from college, got married, and moved to Ohio (all in a 5 month period).
41. Began my teaching career by subbing for a year and then teaching for three years full-time.
42. Got pregnant with Ethan in 2001 (we had been trying to get pregnant for over a year) and was separated from my husband 3 months later. He decided he "wasn't happy" anymore and wanted a divorce!
43. Entered a really rough time in my life, being pregnant and separated, but God sustained me.
44. Finished teaching out the school year and then moved home to MN in May ’02.45. Moved in with my parents again so I could stay home with my baby.
46. Ethan Garrett was born July 8, 2002 after 21 hours of back labor. My dreams of being a mother had come true!
47. Met Paul, my future husband (unknowingly, of course) in January 2003 at a Bible study/support group.
48. He was wearing a red turtleneck and khaki pants and talked of work in vague terms so I assumed he worked at Target.
49. My divorce is finalized in May ’03 after 15 months of being in the process.
50. I begin working part-time (evenings and weekends) for Huntington Learning Center in Sept. of ‘03
51. I develop a secret crush on Paul.
52. One of our mutual friends says he should get married and have a van load of kids. I mentally volunteer!
53. I begin doing child care during the day for my boss’ daughter so I can continue to be home with Ethan during the day.
54. Paul and I began dating in Sept. 04.
55. I jokingly refer to our first 2 dates as “undates” b/c he never truly asked me out. He assures me he did.
56. On our first date (after two undates!) he tells me he wants to wait until marriage before kissing anyone and asks me if I can agree to that. I did and am so glad!
57. July ’05 Paul asks me to marry him and I agree. We plan a “planned” elopement.
58. Sept. 18, 2005 we share our first kiss (as husband and wife) after waiting almost a year.
59. We begin the “two year plan” before we have kids.
60. Three months later I’m pregnant!
61. Our honeymoon period involves immediate parenthood for Paul and a very pukey wife.
62. Ethan (3.5 at the time) asks me, “How do you go to the bathroom that way?” when he sees me puking for the first time.
63. We decide to plan a homebirth/waterbirth after much research.
64. End of July ’06 I quit working at Huntington and begin to enjoy my SAHM career.
65. Elijah James is born August 30, 2006, after 4 hours and 20 minutes of labor. I become a homebirth/waterbirth convert!
66. Sept. ’06, I finally complete my accreditation as a La Leche League leader after 2+ years of working on it.
Part C coming soon!
Cupcakes and Gambling by The Pioneer Woman
14 hours ago