Friday, April 10, 2009

He Bore Our Sorrows

We went to church last night. It's been awhile since I've cried at church, though it used to be a place where the tears fell quickly and easily, whether I wanted them to or not.

We sit in various positions when at church. I like to sit next to Paul whenever possible. But with a squirmy toddler who needs to be barricaded in, Paul and I don't often get to sit side by side. Last night both boys were between us. The tears welled up in my eyes when I glanced to the right when Elijah said for the third time "Are we done?" and saw my two precious boys sitting there. It hit me that there should be a little girl there with them.

This time I didn't see Felicity as a little baby like usual, but as a little girl. She would've been dressed in a pretty dress with a bow or two in her curly brown hair. Her legs would've stuck straight out, not long enough to bend at the pew edge. She would've had white tights and shiny black shoes on. She would've been sitting between her brothers. But she wasn't there. So I cried, because I miss my daughter.

Today we went to the park after homeschool co-op and there were quite a few kids there. One was a little brown-haired cutie with a stocking cap on her head. She was about four years old. And her name was Faith. So I cried at the park too.

Isaiah 53:4-5 says, "Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

When our pastor read those verses last night, it struck me that not only did Christ bear all our sins upon the cross, but he also bore all of our sorrows, all of our pain, all of our hurts and discomforts, and all of our sadness. EVERYTHING! Christ bore on the cross everything that stems from SIN. Everything bad, sad, and hard in this world is the result of sin. He knows my griefs and sorrows and bore them on the cross for me.

The weight of my grief over missing my babies is unbearable at times. And Jesus bore mine and those of everyone else in the world! And someday "the redeemed of the Lord shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away." Isaiah 51:11

THERE IS WONDER-WORKING POWER IN THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF THE LAMB!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Rachel! Hello!
I just had to drop by and say thank you for your lovely comment on my blog the other day. It was very encouraging to me.

Also, I was very surprised to see the verse you closed this blog with. And then really not so surprised. I discovered that very verse three weeks ago and have been living in the hope of it since then. I think it's beautiful that we found it at the same time.

Hang in there, sister!
Christ shall return one day, and all the wrong shall be made right.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." Rev. 21.4

Love, Bethany

Sharleen said...

Amen Sister! Well said! Happy Easter!

Jennifer Ross said...

Thank you Jesus for taking all of my sin, sorrows and grief upon the cross...Happy Easter Rachel.

Sara said...

Rachel, it is funny, we seem to be struggling in so many of the same ways, I cried through a lot of church today as well:) Thanks for the encouragement today... I needed it. I continue to pray for you!
Sara

Diane Shiffer said...

♥hugs♥