Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Past in Pictures

I cleaned out a bunch of photo boxes recently. I must have thrown out 20 lbs. of photos. Before there were digital cameras (or before I ever owned one), I always ordered double prints, because I never knew how my pictures would turn out - so anyway, I had LOTS of photos. When doing this cleaning project, I realized I needed to start scanning my photos, so I could have a better way of preserving them. Well, yesterday I finally started this project and thought I'd share some pictures from my past.

This is me with my brother and cousins in 1983 - I was 6-7 yrs. old and I'm the one with the broken arm.


This is me and Tweety (one of three "pet" birds I raised) in '85. Oh, noticed the outfit I'm wearing (I wish the photo showed more of it as it was one of my favs). Love the big plastic button in front. Yes, I'm a child of the 80's.


1991 - Me in my volleyball uniform as a freshman. I had a short volleyball career - one season. The girls on my team were too catty for my liking, so I got a part-time job rather than playing another year. I still had braces in this picture and my hair. . . remember a little product known as "Sun-In?" I used it a lot.

Also 1991 but shortly after my braces came off. I thought my teeth looked huge for weeks. This was taken with my besties, Joolee and Billi Jo right before our first DC Talk concert. I hugged Toby Mac that night! *Sigh*

1993 - my first missions trip to Galeana, Mexico (in the mountains). This trip prompted me to learn how to shave my legs and armpits with a safety razor as there would be no electricity for my mom's hand-me-down electric razor. I haven't looked back since. I still remember the names of the girls in this picture - Alma, Olga, and Berenice. They probably have kids of their own by now.

1994 and Prom. Or at least our own prom since between the six of us, we went to 4 different schools. So we scrapped the idea of going to a school dance. Instead we got all dolled up, took pictures, went out to eat at a fancy restaurant, went to a park and goofed off, and then had a sleepover and watched videos. Good times!

1994 - my favorite senior picture and probably fav picture ever of myself. Taken on the shore's of Lake Superior while camping with Joolee and her family - more good times! Thank you Denny, (Joolee's dad) for taking these photos.

'95 or '96 - Just love this picture because of all the pretty fall colors.

And finally, with some of my students while teaching during my methods placement in 1997. I also remember these girls: Meredith, Rose, and Marisa. I sure feel old when I realize that they would be old enough to have graduated from college already!


Now, I'm going to tag the following people to do the same - share at least 5 photos from their past with captions.



9 comments:

Sharleen said...

Rachel! Look at you tagging me to share photos of my past. LOL I'll do my best. Hope to get it done this month. ;)

Sharleen said...

BTW, love the sun-in photos! I totally remember that stuff, never used it myself though.

Heidi said...

Yeah, you totally know I will do this! I completely remember sun-in!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I found your blog via Julie Bock's and it wasn't until today viewing the pictures from your past that I realized who you are. I am Michelle Finnestad mom to twins Matthew and Brandon. I knew you when you were younger at Grace. Your boys are adorable.

Molly said...

I loved these photos! I would totally post some photos, but mine are all packed! We have over 100 boxes of "things" packed and stored in my mom's garage now. We wanted to de-clutter while we had the house on the market and also do our best to lessen the packing extravaganza that will occur when we sell the house. (HOPEFULLY SOON!!) Some other time!

Jennifer Ross said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures. What great memories!

joolee said...

don't you need written permission to post some of those pictures?! ;)

Diane Shiffer said...

those pictures were *wonderful*...

oh and i remember sun-in too, yipes! *blush*