Monday, September 1, 2008

My Perfect Birth

No, the baby hasn't arrived since my last post! I thought I blog about what I hope my upcoming birth will be like. Okay, in hindsight, maybe watching the video last night of Elijah's birth wasn't the greatest idea, considering how close I am to the real event. Hearing myself say things like, "I can't do this anymore!" "I just want it out!" and "It hurts so bad!" doesn't really make me excited to push out another baby anytime soon. Then again, the excitement of seeing Elijah being pulled from the water and placed on my chest and hearing Paul say, "It's a boy!" thrills me to the tips of my toes, knowing we have another "surprise" awaiting us!

So, here's my perfect birth:

1) Labor starts while Paul is home, preferably in the morning after a peaceful night's sleep for parents AND children. (Paul works an hour from home. and with a short labor last time, 4 hrs. and 20 min., I want him there from the start.)

2) Labor lasts less than 4 hours, 20 minutes - credit this one to watching only about an hour of Elijah's birth on video.

3) My toddler is well-behaved and doesn't have any concerns about hearing Mommy making loud groaning noises downstairs. (And that Aunt Cathy, Aunt Tracy, or Abbi - a teenager from church - is here to watch the boys.)

4) My parents are here for the birth. (They leave on Sept. 13th for a two week vacation in da U.P.)

5) There are no problems/issues with the birth tub we ordered. (Last time we rented one, this time we bought a different kind, so I'm hoping I like it better!)

6) My midwife and her assistant make it here on time with no issues. (She's also coming from 45 miles away.)

7) There is no need for the barf basin or fish net during the birth. (If you don't know what the fish net is for, remember it's a water birth and then think about it some more! Too embarrassing to write about, but then again, I've never had a need for one in my other births!)

8) The pushing stage is short and for some blessed reason, I don't feel the baby crown!

9) The placenta comes out easily and I'm surprisingly refreshed after the whole birth experience!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

10) Baby is born healthy!!!!

I'm sure I'll think of something else to add to this later or maybe my three readers will think of something I've missed. If any of you are close to birthing a baby, blessings to you as well!

No comments: